Professional Recruitment Network
Our client is looking for a proactive and energised individual to assist with managing the tax function for the Group. The individual will be responsible for providing a wide range of tax advisory services to the business as well as ensuring compliance with operational requirements (including reporting) imposed by both local and foreign tax regulators.
Duties & Responsibilities
The candidate will be expected to:
- Manage a small team of tax professionals
- Keep abreast of relevant tax related regulations and legislative changes or trends within the financial services industry in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Bermuda
- Manage the tax advisory relationships with in-country counsel for operations
- Effectively manage relationships with the relevant local and foreign tax authorities
- Attend to tax related questions from the business and financial advisors and understand highly complex tax related problems
- Prepare clear, sound, accurate reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations to management, legal/compliance and operational areas regarding new legislative and tax reporting requirements
- Tax monitoring/audit of the business-related tax processes
- Prepare/review the business control environment to ensure that sufficient and effective controls are in place to detect discrepancies and deviations from agreed processes and legislative requirements.
- Review operational reports to identify potential areas of concern/ gaps/ trends where tax monitoring/ additional controls may be required.
- Provide input to the industry on behalf of the company (i.e regulatory papers / industry bodies)
- Continuously advise and provide training to internal stakeholders to ensure optimal tax awareness and competence with regards to new and existing tax legislation
- Liaise with Clients/Financial Advisors and Operations teams regarding queries and topical tax issues
- Provide distribution support in the form of round table discussions and presentations to financial advisors and the distribution teams.
Desired Experience & Qualification
The successful candidate should have:
- Deep knowledge of South African corporate income tax, corporate structures, tax treaty law and global developments in the field of international tax
- Knowledge of South African legislative requirements and tax laws specific to unit trust/LISP, long-term insurance and retirement fund business
- Knowledge of local and international tax reporting requirements e.g. FATCA/CRS, DWT, IWT and IT3
- A go-getter attitude with a pragmatic approach to systems and processes
- Ability to provide bespoke advice of the highest technical standard in a clear and concise manner
Core qualifications and experience
- CA/BCom with HDip Tax Law or Master in Tax
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Current, relevant financial services industry experience and up to date with the latest changes in the legislation in this specialist area – this is a distinct advantage.
- Technical tax advisory experience
- Ability to assess complex tax laws, derive a meaning and practically apply it to the business
- Strong analytical skills