Duties & Responsibilities
· Teaching Computer Science modules at undergraduate and post-graduate levels
· Mentoring project students at honours level
· Conducting scholarly research in the key areas of the School and research centre.
· Publishing in high-impact journals and books.
· Supervision of masters and doctoral students.
· Writing of research proposals and securing funding.
3. MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATIVE TASKS
· Planning, implementing, and evaluating the school’s teaching-learning programmes and other activities.
· Developing own professional and academic leadership and management skills, with a view to academic leadership and effective quality management in the school.
Desired Experience & Qualification
· 5 years’ experience in Higher education teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level
· 5 years’ experience in the supervision of Masters and Ph.D. students
· 5 years’ proven research track record within the Computer Sciences field
· Proven experience in community service
· A proven track record of management experience
· Professional membership with the IT/CS/IS societies (desirable)
KEY FUNCTIONAL/ TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
· Ability to teach Computer Science modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level
· Ability to provide guidance to Master’s and Ph.D. degree dissertations
· Excellent administrative and management skills
· Ability to maintain good interpersonal relations and client service orientation.
· Ability to assist and or take lead in module/programme development
· Ability to liaise with industry for co-operative research with the focus of the School and the research entity
· Excellent planning, implementing and evaluating skills – regarding teaching-learning programmes
KEY BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES:
· Ability to work effectively independently and in a team
· Good organisational skills
· Ability to function under pressure
· Be an innovator who strives for ‘best practice’ in both teaching and research
The annual total remuneration package will be commensurate with the level of appointment as advertised and in line with the NWU policy guidelines.
ENQUIRIES REGARDING JOB CONTENT MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Prof E Taylor – 018 299 2540
ENQUIRIES REGARDING RECRUITMENT PROCESS MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Ms. Mpumi Mqina – 018 285 2009
CLOSING DATE: 08 July 2022
PLANNED COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: 01 September 2022
Kindly take note: applications must be submitted online through the official nwu vacancy website.
Incomplete applications and those submitted through any other platform will not be considered.
The University subscribes to and applies the principles of Employment Equity (EE) Act and is committed to transformation. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the EE Act and NWU Employment Equity Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
If you are not contacted within two months from the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.