The Western Cape is a leading regional economy. As the Data Science Manager within the Marketing and Communications unit, you will play an important role in helping the organization and its stakeholders make data-led decisions and in turn ensure that Wesgro remains a leading sub-national TIPA (Trade and Investment Promotion Agency).
Are you a data scientist? Passionate about using data to solve complex business problems? Wesgro is looking for someone who will apply knowledge of statistics, data modelling, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries. Reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, the Data Science Manager will be responsible for helping to develop and implement online reputation management and data insights across Wesgro (tourism, trade, investment and film). The incumbent will be responsible for helping with the development of marketing plans and strategic projects, as well as ongoing reputational issues that arise. The incumbent will work closely with the Head of Research to be deeply involved in data analytics for both the Agency, as well as the destination for business stakeholders.
- Apply statistical and computational methodologies to provide actionable insights and identify opportunities that optimize quality online/omnichannel experiences
- Assist with the development of scalable, efficient, and automated processes for large scale data analyses and model development, validation, and implementation
- Ability to formulate a clear problem statement, in collaboration with unit heads and business stakeholders, and develop a plan for tackling it (globally and locally)
- Excellence in analysing data (global and local) to solve the problem and clearly communicating findings verbally and in writing a must
- Ability to source and combine data from both structured and unstructured sources
- Excellent communication and project ownership
- Support large projects, and manage smaller projects in their entirety (whilst still collaborating with team members across various divisions)
- Partner with senior team members to assess audience needs and define business questions
- Ability to influence audience to take action on analytical insights
- Identify, define and translate business needs/problems into analytical questions
- Contribute to department/Agency publications and communication on actionable insights in line with proven data science use cases.
- A creative and enthusiastic attitude to problem solving and generating value for stakeholders and users
- A passion for unearthing valuable insights and creating powerful tools from data
- Energy, drive and resilience, with a positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and balance multiple priorities
- Ability to work alone when required and to take the initiative without constant supervision
- High-level of attention to detail
- Ability to step back to see how analytics work fits into a bigger context
- Unwaveringly ethical standards and able to maintain confidentiality
- Aligned to the Wesgro values and core purpose
Professional Qualifications & Experience
- Honors or Master’s degree in either Data Science, Actuarial Science, Statistics, Operations Research or Applied Mathematics with some experience in software engineering, computer science or working with big disparate sets of data
- OR Honors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering with solid experience in statistical modelling, data mining, machine learning or optimization
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in data handling and application
- Other analytical qualifications will also be considered if accompanied by the relevant experience
- Proficient in data presenting – may be required to report to Executive Committee members at times
- Proven ability to use data tools to generate insights and strategic direction
Package & Remuneration
All-inclusive Remuneration Market Related. (Cost to Company)
This is a three year contractual position (with the option to renew) subject to the successful candidate signing a performance agreement. A six months’ probation period applies.
Wesgro celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees in line with the Employment Equity Act.
Should you not have received any response from us within 14 days after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful